Thursday, April 1, 2010

Kissing Goat Statue


I could barely contain my joy at one of the newest acquisition by the Madison Chazen Museum. It is an anthropomorphic statue of two male goats making out.

Okay-so they have anthropomorphic wieners too (real goat penises might be more controversial as they are rather odd looking, with a little curlicue at the end. Male goats also pee on themselves during mating season and work the urine into their hair. To smell attractive. To the ladies. Or life partners I suppose.) Also, the title of the piece "A Rush of Blood to the Head" is apparently a Coldplay album. Hm. However the artist Beth Cavener Stichter has used goats as inspiration in the past, along with other compelling and disturbing animals (I think I saw a capybara and a mouse deer in her gallery.)

This statue has already attracted 31 comments on the Cap Times website listing the article I first read about the art piece including some "it's no big deal" and others stating "I can't take my kids here now."

The article in the Isthmus interestingly enough argues the fact that the statue shouldn't be alarming, but is.

Me? I haven't actually seen it yet in person, but I am happy for what buzz and discussion it has already generated.

Creepy goat blog post #1 done!

No comments: